“Lights, Camera, Action”…is the standard quote before a film shooting. Action heroes make a film successful …but we’re going to have a look at some famous names in the world of stuntmanship in cinema, who from behind the scenes, make the film ‘a super hit’.
Tollywood…the land of South Indian films has always given importance to action…like ‘ Thiruda Thiruda’ & ‘ Kabali’. When Rajnikant or Suriya perform stunts, it’s with the help of fight masters. However only some stunt choreographers’ names emerge in the limelight..
- Peter Hein is one of them. A fight master/action choreographer and stunt coordinator who has worked in many Cinema of South India productions such as Sivaji(2007) , Anniyan (2005) , Ghajini (2008) , Magadheera (2009), Enthiran (2010), Raavanan(2010), 7aum Arivu (2011) , Kochadaiyaan(2014) , Baahubali (2015) and Pulimurugan. He received a Filmfare Award for Best Action for Ghajni…World Taurus stunt award for best action.
- Anal Arasu:- He has worked as a Stunt coordinator in Rowdy Rathore (2012). He worked with A.R. Murugadoss for Kaththi ( 2012 ). He received the South Indian International Movie Awards for Best Fight Choreographer for the film ‘ Maattrraan’.
Many Tollywood actors like Rajnikant, Vikram, Kamal Hassan & Mahesh Babu sometimes perform their own stunts.
Bollywood…The land of ‘ Shehenshah’ , ‘ Agneepath’,’ Sholay’, ‘ Phool aur Kaante’, ‘ Khiladi’ have given birth to action heroes like Ajay Devgn, Sunil Shetty, Salman Khan & Akshay Kumar.Today most actors themselves perform stunts…but stuntsmen are stuntsmen, who work as doubles for actors.
- Shyam Kaushal…The crew members of the Abhishek Bachchan- starrer ‘ Drona ‘ were bemused to see 50-year-old veteran action director Shyam Kaushal and 44-year-old Romania-based stunt co-ordinator Tom Delmar choreograph stunts.
- Muddu Shetty…also known as Shetty is the original ‘Singham’.He has choreographed the stunts in blockbusters like’The Great gambler , “Chori mera kaam’,’Dost” &’ Yaadon ki baarat’.He has also starred in some of these films.He’s the father of the famous Rohit Shetty of ‘Singham’ fame & the famous stunt director Hriday Shetty.
- Kanal kannan, A famous name in Tollywood & Bollywood has been responsible for good stunt choreography in ‘Phata Poster Nikhla ‘(2013), ‘Hero’ (2013 ),’ Ramayya Vasthavayya ‘ (2011), ‘Ra.One'( 2013), ‘Singh Saab The Great’ (2013).
- Veeru Devgan has 80 films to his credit.He’s one of the most experienced action directors & father of superstar Ajay Devgn& Anil Devgn.In fact, Ajay Devgn is a pro in stunts. Some of Veeru Devgan’s work include.…
- Khoon Bhari Maang Kranti (1981)
- Hum Paanch (1980)
- Dostana (1980)
- India (1987)
- Aakhree Raasta (1986)
- Jeeva (1986)
- Tridev(1986)….and the list goes on!
Hollywood , is supposedly the no.1 inspiration
for action and Vfx .Be it Tom Cruise , Keanu Reeves,Brad Pitt, all need doubles or stuntsmen.
Joss Whedon has choreographed films like ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’, Angel and Firefly & ‘ The Avengers’ .
- Nicolas Winding Refn has been behind the scenes of ‘ Drive’, ‘ Valhalla Rising ‘.
- Kathryn Bigelow has action choreographed ‘ The Hurt Locker ‘.
- While Matthew Vaughn Kingsman has choreographed stunts in ‘ The Secret Service’.
- Quentin Tarantino’s must watch movies are ‘ Kill Bill Vol.1’, ‘Kill Bill Vol.2’.
- George Miller was stunt choreographer for The entire ‘Mad Max ‘ series.
- Anthony De Longis and Kendall Wells
Lee Whitaker is said to be choreographing the climax fight in the Rajinikanth-starrer ‘ Lingaa’. But showbiz isn’t easy.Behind every scene there are accidents, torn muscles & broken bones.
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2010/2011). During production at Leavesden, Daniel Radcliffe’s stunt double David Holmes suffered a serious spinal injury during the filming of an aerial sequence, which left him paralysed.
The Hangover Part II (2011). Australian stuntman Scott McLean suffered critical brain damage while filming in Bangkok after a taxi he was leaning out of the window of failed to dodge another vehicle.
- The Expendables 2 (2012). While filming in Elin Pelin, Bulgaria, a stuntman was killed and another was left in critical condition during a staged explosion on a rubber boat.
- Rowdy Rathore (2012). Akshay Kumar injured his shoulder while shooting the film’s climax scene.
- Shootout at Wadala (2013). Anil Kapoor accidentally shot a blank at John Abraham from a distance of 1.5 meters, grazing Abraham’s right side of his neck.
When our favourite stars be it Nagarjuna,Amitabh Bachchan or perform stunts we praise them.But little do we realise that it’s not their dare devilry alone but that of their teachers…the fight masters who make it possible !